The annual rundown of the dental profession’s heaviest hitters as presented by Incisal Edge magazine has never been more fraught—because the industry has never faced anything quite like the pandemic. How have these top players achieved their current status—and where are they, and dentistry itself, headed in the months and years ahead?
The 32 individuals—one for every adult tooth—have some ideas. And they’re well-placed to implement them. Not all of them are focused on Covid-19 to the exclusion of all else, of course, but the virus and its attendant maladies, physiological and economic alike, is at the fore of everyone’s mind. And the esteemed power players you’ll read about in the summer edition will certainly be a part of the recovery.
"Four years ago, when we began tracking dentistry's most influential people, we didn't envision how a pandemic could shock all of dentistry, or how quickly the industry would begin adapting," said Incisal Edge Founder Chuck Cohen. "But here we are, and identifying who's leading the conversation right now—and positioned to drive change—is vital in a world where the rules of influence and authority are shifting faster than ever and effective thought leadership more often propels people to positions of influence."
The 32 Most Influential People in Dentistry for 2020, ranked by Incisal Edge include:
1. Eric Wenzel, Director, Oral Care Global Business, 3M Minneapolis, Minnesota
2. Joseph Hogan, Director, President and CEO, Align Technology San Jose, California
3. Casey Hannan, Director, Division of Oral Health, CDC National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Atlanta, Georgia
4. Stanley Bergman, Chairman and CEO, Henry Schein Melville, New York
5. Lawmakers – dentists in the U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C. : Brian Babin (R-TX), Drew Ferguson (R-GA), Paul Gosar (R-WY), Mike Simpson (R-ID) Jeff Van Drew (R-NJ)
6. Don Casey, CEO, Dentsply Sirona Columbus, Ohio
7. Roshan Parikh, Head of Dentistry, Walmart U.S. Health & Wellness Atlanta, Georgia
8. Howard Farran, Founder, Dentaltown.Com, Dentaltown Magazine Phoenix, Arizona
9. Kathleen O’Loughlin, Executive Director, ADA Chicago, Illinois
Michael Graham, Senior VP, Government and Public Affairs, ADA Washington, D.C.
Marko Vujicic, Chief Economist & Vice President, ADA Health Policy Institute Chicago, Illinois
10. The Entrepreneurial Dentist, Business-Minded, Pandemic-Nervous Everytown, USA
11. Karen West, President, American Dental Education Association, Washington, D.C.
12. Rick Workman, Founder and Executive Chairman, Heartland Dental Effingham, Illinois
Robert Fontana, CEO, Aspen Dental, East Syracuse, New York
Steve Thorne, Irvine, California
13. Michael Apa, Cosmetic Dentist, Apa Aesthetic New York, New York; Los Angeles, California; Dubai, United Arab Emirates
14. Michael Cohen, Founder, Seattle Study Club Seattle, Washington
Frank Spear, Founder & Director, Spear Education Phoenix, Arizona; Seattle, Washington
15. Amir Aghdaei, CEO, Envista Holdings Brea, California
16. Gordon Christensen, Founder and CEO, Practical Clinical Courses Provo, Utah
John Kois, Founder and Director, The Kois Center Seattle, Washington
17. Douglas Erickson, CEO, Facility Guidelines Institute St. Louis, Missouri
18. Michael Castro, CEO, Delta Dental Oak Brook, Illinois
19. Michelle Lee, Executive Director, Organization for Safety Asepsis and Prevention Atlanta, Georgia
20. Richard Schnall, Managing Partner, Clayton Dubilier & Rice Healthcare Practice New York, New York
21. Ann Battrell, Executive Director, American Dental Hygienists’ Association Chicago, Illinois
22. Wardah Inam, CEO, Overjet Cambridge, Massachusetts
23. Greg Minzenmayer, Chief Operating Officer, Glidewell Laboratories Newport Beach, California
24. Paul Goodman, Founder, Dental Nachos Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
25. Guillaume Daniellot, CEO, Straumann Basel, Switzerland
26. Jerome Adams, 20th Surgeon General of The United States Washington, D.C.
27. Anton Woolf, CEO, Argen San Diego, California
28. Jeff Johnson, Senior Research Analyst, Medical Technology Robert W. Baird & Company Milwaukee, Wisconsin
29. Mark Adams, Dental Business Leader, Amazon Seattle, Washington
30. Mike Cataldo, CEO, Convergent Dental Needham, Massachusetts
31. Scott Leune, Founder, Breakaway Practice San Antonio, Texas
32. Dave Sproat, CEO, Young Innovations Algonquin, Illinois
Jim Harding, CEO, Henry Schein
Laura Kelly, CEO, Microdental Laboratories And Modern Dental Usa
Diego Gabathuler, Ceo, Ivoclar Vivadent
Jay Geier, CEO, The Scheduling Institute
Steve Bishop, CEO, Procter & Gamble Health Care
Justin Joffe & Hitesh Tolani, CEO, Henry The Dentist; Founder And Ceo, Virtudent
Ones to Watch
Christopher E. Steele, President, Park Dental
Jonathan Koch, Senior Vice President and CEO, Global Dental Group, Henry Schein
Kenneth Serota & Ron Saslow, President of Dental, Cantel Medical; CEO, Hu-Friedy
Browse the complete Summer 2020 digital edition here, or go directly to the feature here. For additional information regarding the magazine, visit: https://www.incisaledgemagazine.com/
About Incisal Edge
Knowledge. Success. Life. Those three words, printed on the cover of every issue, guide editorial content for Incisal Edge magazine. Published by Benco Dental since 1997, Incisal Edge is focued on helping readers get an edge—and keep it—in the fast-changing worlds of healthcare and business. Known for its “40 Under 40 — America’s Best Young Dentists,” which highlights the country’s brightest rising stars, the magazine’s content includes “The 32 Most Influential People in Dentistry," plus columns and features packed with sharp advice, expert success tips on everything from marketing to operations, and the latest clinical advances and essential tools for practicing and living smarter. Incisal Edge magazine’s print edition reaches 130,000 readers quarterly via a direct mail distribution package with Dentaltown magazine. Digitally, incisaledgemagazine.com, leads with dynamic visuals and follows with exclusive web content, an improved mobile experience, and a centralized nomination hub for the magazine’s signature awards: the aforementioned 40 Under 40, the Lucy Hobbs Project Awards for Exemplary Women in Dentistry and the Incisal Edge Design Competition for interior design, architecture and space planning within the dental profession.
About Benco Dental
Benco Dental is Driving Dentistry ForwardSM with innovative solutions and our caring family culture. Our industry firsts include Painless® electronic ordering, automated supply management, BluChip® customer loyalty rewards, CenterPoint design/equipment superstores and OneVisitTM open architecture CAD/CAM. Independent since 1930, our over 1,500 dedicated associates serve customers at locations nationwide including 400+ sales representatives and 300+ factory-trained service technicians. Benco Dental is one of Fortune's Best Workplaces in Health Care and Biopharma and among Pennsylvania Best Places to Work® for 12 of 15 prior years.