1. Calcium release. The release of calcium stimulates1,2 hydroxyapatite formation and secondary dentin bridge formation. 3-5
2. Alkaline pH. Alkaline pH promotes healing and apatite formation. 3,6,7
3. Radiopaque. Highly visible on radiographs so that it can be easily distinguished from caries.
4. Insulation. Protects the pulp by forming a barrier to insulate it from thermal changes.8,9
5. Compatibility. Compatible with any bonding technique, TheraCal LC can be placed under most restorative materials and cements.
"TheraCal LC has been our go-to material for direct and indirect vital pulp capping procedures. Our success rate with keeping the nerve tissues vital after using TheraCal LC has changed the way that we diagnose and treat. Consequently, we are doing less root canal procedures, and our patients are thrilled."
Mark Malterud, DDS
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Package: 4 syringes (1 g each), 50 tips (22 gauge)
Refills:1 syringe (1 g), 15 tips (22 gauge); 50 tips (22 gauge)
1. Calcium release data for TheraCal LC on file.
2. Gandolfi MG, Siboni F, Prati C. Chemical-physical properties of TheraCal, a novel light-curable MTA-like material for pulp capping. Int Endod J.2012;45(6):571-579.
3. American Dental Association. Glossary of dental clinical terms: direct pulp cap, indirect pulp cap. ADA website. https://www.ada.org/publications/cdt/glossary-of-dental-clinical-terms. Accessed April 3, 2023.
4. Gandolfi MG, Siboni F, Taddei P, et al. Apatite forming ability of TheraCal pulp capping material. J Dent Res. 2011;90(Spec Iss A):Abstract 2520.
5. Cannon M, Gerodias N, Viera A, et al. Primate pulpal healing after exposure and TheraCal application. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2014;38(4):333-337.
6. Okabe T, Sakamoto M, Takeuchi H, Matsushima K. Effects of pH on mineralization ability of human dental pulp cells. J Endod. 2006;32(3):198-201.
7. Yamamoto S, Han L, Noiri Y, Okiji T. Evaluation of the Ca ion release, pH and surface apatite formation of a prototype tricalcium silicate cement. Int Endod J. 2017;50(Suppl 2):e73-e82.
8. Sangwan P, Sangwan A, Duhan J, Rohilla A. Tertiary dentinogenesis with calcium hydroxide: a review of proposed mechanisms. Int Endod J. 2013;46(1):3-19.
9. Savas S, Botsali MS, Kucukyilmaz E, Sari T. Evaluation of temperature changes in the pulp chamber during polymerization of light-cured pulp-capping materials by using a VALO LED light curing unit at different curing distances. Dent Mater J. 2014;33(6):764-769.