Obsidian® Lithium Silicate Ceramic Milling Blocks
Lifelike vitality, less inventory, and lower cost
Figure 1 | Obsidian lithium silicate ceramic is a glass-ceramic material used for high-esthetic dental restorations. Exhibiting a level of translucency that mimics the vitality of natural dentition, Obsidian is an ideal choice for dental restorations that need to blend seamlessly into a patient’s smile. Obsidian milling blocks enable clinicians to prepare, fabricate, design, and deliver a lifelike restoration that exhibits an ideal combination of strength and beauty with an average flexural strength of 385 MPa in just one appointment.
Designed with an innovative combination of more than 20 unique elemental oxides, including zirconia, the Obsidian formulation owes its excellent properties to a very high content of ultrafine, nanometer-sized lithium silicate and lithium phosphate crystals.
Obsidian milling blocks are sold in packs of five blocks and are compatible with the CEREC® milling systems and the TS150™ Chairside Milling Solution. Obsidian is available in the most commonly used VITA® Classical and Chromascop bleach shades. Unlike competing chairside materials, Obsidian comes in a single translucency option and block size, significantly reducing the amount of inventory a clinician must have on hand.
Obsidian milling blocks are supplied in a partially crystallized phase and must go through a final oven cycle prior to delivery. This crystallization process brings the material’s color and translucency to life, while also securing its chip-resistant strength. Restorations designed and fabricated in the office via a chairside workflow have preparation requirements identical to traditional all-ceramics and can be conventionally cemented or adhesively bonded.
Established in 1970, Glidewell Laboratories is an industry-leading provider of high-quality dental lab products and services to dental professionals nationwide for a low cost. More than 4,300 dedicated employees make quality restorative dentistry more affordable and accessible to patients across all economic spectrums.
• Obsidian ceramic blends so well with natural dentition, you can match vital translucency with less inventory
• Blocks are available in the 14 most commonly used VITA Classical and Chromascop bleach shades
• With a flexural strength of 385 MPa, Obsidian restorations ensure long-term durability
• A 30-month clinical study in The Dental Advisor concluded the performance and esthetics of Obsidian crowns were exceptional, resulting in a 98% overall rating1
1. Obsidian 30-month clinical performance. The Dental Advisor. 2015. http://www.obsidianceramic.com/downloads/resources/obsidian-dental-advisor.pdf. Accessed May 20, 2016.
For more information, contact:
Henry Schein Dental