This case study presents a successful esthetic and functional outcome for an implant patient who received PRP and PRF therapies, which are used routinely by the author for implant cases. As was demonstrated in this instance, the author has found that patients treated in this way experience faster and stronger bone regeneration with fewer complications, fewer infections, and very favorable soft-tissue healing.
The author has no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
1. Rutkowski JL, Thomas JM, Bering L. An analysis of a rapid, simple, and inexpensive technique used to obtain platelet-rich plasma for use in clinical practice. J Oral Implantol. 2008;34(1):25-33.
2. Gabriel A, de la Torre JI, Rosenberg LZ, et al. Wound healing and growth factors. Medscape website. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1298196-overview. Accessed March 10th, 2016.
3. Ross R, Glomset J, Kariya B, Harker L. A platelet-dependent serum factor that stimulates the proliferation of arterial smooth muscle cells in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1974;71(4):1207-1210.
4. Kim SG, Solomon C, Zheng Y, et al. Effects of growth factors on dental stem/progenitor cells. Dent Clin North Am. 2012;56(3):563-575.
5. Kaigler D, Avila G, Wisner-Lynch L, et al. Platelet-derived growth factor applications in periodontal and peri-implant bone regeneration. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2011;11(3):375-385.
6. Marx RE, Carlson ER, Eichstaedt RM, et al. Platelet-rich plasma: Growth factor enhancement for bone grafts. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1998;85(6):638-646.
7. Khiste SV, Tari RN. Platelet-rich fibrin as a biofuel for tissue regeneration. ISRN Biomaterials. 2013;2013 (627367). doi:10.5402/2013/627367.
8. Choukroun J, Diss A, Simonpieri A, et al. Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF): a second-generation platelet concentrate. Part IV: clinical effects on tissue healing. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006;101(3):e56-e60.
9. Choukroun J, Diss A, Simonpieri A, et al. Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF): A second-generation platelet concentrate. Part V: Histologic evaluations of PRF effects on bone allograft maturation in sinus lift. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006;101(3):299-303.
10. Saluja H, Dehane V, Mahindra U. Platelet-Rich fibrin: A second generation platelet concentrate and a new friend of oral and maxillofacial surgeons. Ann Maxillofac Surg. 2011;1(1):53-57.