In the case report, the decision to utilize conventional implants in the maxilla was based on diminished bone quality and significant biomechanical load. Research has exhibited guarded success rates with maxillary overdentures.18 SDIs were employed in the mandible because excellent success rates have been demonstrated in similar cases.19 The patient made a treatment decision based on personal finances, as well as an understanding of bone density and biomechanics and how they relate to long-term outcomes.
Oral implantology has become a major discipline in the field of dentistry. Clinicians must evaluate the patient’s existing condition and develop thought-provoking treatment plans based on a variety of factors. The utilization of CDIs and SDIs should be considered in regards to bone, biomechanics, age, and finances. A synergy of different implant modalities can provide alternative approaches to resolve patient concerns in a predictable, less invasive, and more economical way.
Brian J. Jackson, DDS, has previously lectured for 3M, but did not receive compensation for this article.
The author wishes to acknowledge Tatyana Lyubezhanina, DA, and Caitlin Carparelli, DA, for their assistance in the preparation of this paper, and Matt Weigand, CDT, of Utica Dental Laboratory in Utica, New York, for his dental technical expertise.
1. Douglass CW, Shih A, Ostry L. Will there be a need for complete dentures in the United States in 2020? J Prosthet Dent. 2002;87(1):5-8.
2. Goodacre CJ, Bernal G, Rungcharassaeng K, Kan JY. Clinical complications with implants and implant prostheses. J Prosthet Dent. 2003;9(2):121-132.
3. Jemt T, Chai J, Harnett J, et al. A 5-year prospective multicenter follow-up report on overdentures supported by osseointegrated implants. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1996;11(3):291-298.
4. Bergendal T, Enquist B. Implant-supported overdentures: a longitudinal prospective study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1998;13(2):253-262.
5. Sclar AG. Preserving alveolar ridge anatomy following tooth removal in conjunction with immediate implant placement. The Bio-Col technique. Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 1999;7(2):39-59.
6. Nevins R, Mellonig JT. Enhancement of the damaged edentulous ridge to receive dental implants: a combination of allograph and GORE-TEX membrane. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1992;12(2):207-217.
7. Sendax V. Mini Dental Implants: Principles and Practices. St Louis, MO: Mosby; 2013.
8. Jackson BJ, Morcos I. Socket grafting: a predictable technique for site preservation. J Oral Implantol. 2007;33(6):353-364.
9. Irinakis T, Tabesh M. Preserving the socket dimensions with bone grafting in single sites: an esthetic surgical approach when planning delayed implant placement. J Oral Implantol. 2007;33(3):156-163.
10. Albrektsson T, Zarb G, Worthington P, Eriksson AR. The long-term efficacy of currently used dental implants: a review and proposed criteria of success. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1986;1(1):11-25.
11. English CE, Bonie GC. Diagnostic procedural and clinical issues with the Sendax mini dental implants. Compend Cont Educ Dent. 2003;24(11 suppl 1):3-25.
12. Shatkin TE, Shatkin S, Oppenheimer BD, Oppenheimer AJ. Mini dental implants for long-term fixed and removable prosthetics: a retrospective analysis of 2514 implants placed over a five-year period. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2007;28(2):92-99.
13. Hutton JE, Heath MR, Chai JY, et al. Factors related to success and failure rates at 3-year follow-up in a multicenter study of overdentures supported by Branemark implants. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1995;10(1):33-42.
14. Christensen GJ. The ‘mini’-implant has arrived. J Am Dent Assoc. 2006;137(3):387-390.
15. Balkin BE, Steflik DE, Naval F. Mini-dental implant insertion with the auto-advance technique for ongoing applications. J Oral Implantol. 2001;27(1):32-37.
16. Bulard RA, Vance JB. Multi-clinic evaluation using mini-dental implants for long-term denture stabilization: a preliminary biometric evaluation. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2005;26(12):892-897.
17. Flanagan D. Flapless dental implant placement. J Oral Implantol. 2007;33(2):75-83.
18. Smedberg JI, Lothigius E, Bodin I, et al. A clinical and radiological two-year follow-up study of maxillary overdentures on osseointegrated implants. Clin Oral Implants Res. 1993;4(1):39-46.
19. Griffitts TM, Collins CP, Collins PC. Mini dental implants: an adjunct for retention, stability, and comfort for the edentulous patient. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005;100(5):e81-e84.