You must be signed in to read the rest of this article.
Registration on AEGIS Dental Network is free. Sign up today!
Forgot your password? Click Here!
Wieland Zenostar® Full-Contour Zirconia
Natural esthetics with a high-strength, metal-free material
The development of high-strength all-ceramics has provided an alternative to porcelain-fused-to metal (PFM) restorations. Restorations made from a monolithic all-ceramic material eliminated many of the problems dental professionals faced with PFMs, such as fractures and/or chips in the porcelain material that can contribute to decreased esthetics and function. However, in their early existence, these materials (eg, zirconia) lacked natural esthetics. With advanced technology and material developments, zirconia has come a long way.
Wieland Zenostar® zirconia from Ivoclar Vivadent demonstrates high strength and a natural appearance.1 Using CAD/CAM technology, one can design the restorations virtually, then mill Zenostar zirconia blanks monolithically into crowns and bridges without the need for applying a veneering ceramic. The monolithic property of Zenostar also contributes to preventing complications associated with bilayered ceramic systems.2
The zirconia material requires minimal preparations and remains gentle on tooth surfaces. With shorter sintering times and fast shading with stains, Zenostar eliminates unnecessary time constraints.
Wieland Zenostar ZR translucent pre-shaded discs form the basis of fast and easy reproduction of tooth shades. With high light transmission, additional stains, multiple staining options, and one-layer materials support, Zenostar achieves exceptional esthetics, making it possible to fabricate full-contour restorations with individual characterizations. These full-contour restorations with glaze provide high esthetics comparable to traditionally veneered restorations.3
High flexural strength and excellent anti-aging properties also contribute to Zenostar zirconia’s long-lasting strength.1 In a mastication simulation study, Zenostar crowns demonstrated low susceptibility to abrasion of the ceramic material and the opposing teeth compared to other materials.4
Zenostar is a highly translucent ceramic material the allows for extensive detail and customization to ensure a perfect fit and enhanced esthetics.
1. Wieland Dental. (2014) The Zenostar Concept: Guidelines for dental technicians/clinicians. Pforzheim, Germany.
2. Thalji GN, Cooper LF. Implant-supported fixed dental rehabilitation with monolithic zirconia: a clinical case report. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2014 Jan 2. [Epub ahead of print].
3. Beur F, Stimmelmayr M, Gueth JF, et al. In vitro performance of full-contour zirconia single crowns. Dent Mater. 2012;28(4):449-456.
4. Stawarczyk B, Özcan M, Schmutz, et al. Two-body wear of monolithic, veneered and glazed zirconia and their corresponding enamel antagonists. Acta Odontol Scand. 2013;71(1):102-112.
• Full-contour zirconia crowns and bridges without a ceramic veneer
• No chipping
• Biocompatible and durable
• Pre-shaded zirconia for staining and glazing
• Cost effective and esthetic metal-free restorations
For more information, contact:
About the Author
Lee Culp, CDT, is chief technology officer of MicroDental Laboratories in Dublin, California. He is also adjunct professor in the graduate prosthetics department at the University of North Carolina School of Dentistry in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.