You must be signed in to read the rest of this article.
Registration on AEGIS Dental Network is free. Sign up today!
Forgot your password? Click Here!
Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush Regimen
The Waterpik® Complete Care is an effective regimen that can simplify daily oral hygiene.
It was recently reported that approximately 65 million adults have periodontal disease even though a good oral hygiene routine could help prevent the progression from health to disease.1 One of the big problems is lack of adherence to oral care recommendations, especially interdental cleaning. Many dental professionals recommend string flossing routinely but this is based on tradition rather than evidence. There are two problems; flossing has not been shown to improve inflammation compared to brushing alone,2 and many people cannot master the technique or simply do not like to floss. Also, once there is increased pocket depth and attachment loss, patients need a device that can clean subgingivally and floss is not the answer.
Oral Care Regimen
A study was conducted to evaluate the simple regimen of water flossing and sonic toothbrushing compared to sonic brushing alone on the reduction of inflammation and plaque. Subjects were randomized into four groups; 1: used a water flosser and sonic toothbrush (Waterpik® Complete Care), 2: used a sonic toothbrush (Waterpik® Sensonic® Professional Plus), 3: used a sonic toothbrush (Sonicare® FlexCare), and 4: used a manual toothbrush.3
At 4 weeks it was evident that the Waterpik® Complete Care was significantly more effective than Sonicare® FlexCare on all measures.3
• Sonic brushing and water flossing with Waterpik® products is a very effective and easy regimen.
• Provides patients with a way to clean areas not accessible by brushing alone or brushing and flossing.
• Cleans subgingival and interdental areas, can even clean pockets found in mild and moderate periodontal disease.
• Removes plaque from the tooth surface, especially the lingual, marginal, and approximal areas.
• Quick and easy: 1 minute to water floss and 2 minutes to brush.
• Patients love it because they can feel it working, massaging the gums and removing food debris, leaving a clean, fresh feeling.
• Dental professionals love it because their patients are happy and healthy.
• Ideal for all patients, especially for those with challenges such as orthodontics, implants, and other dental work.
Achieving good oral hygiene is simple; recommend the Complete Care Regimen (Figure 1). If they have a Waterpik® Water Flosser or sonic toothbrush just supplement with the missing device, which is sold separately. Instruct patients to use the water flosser daily starting on low pressure and increase as they feel comfortable and brush twice a day. The water flosser, including the Complete Care, is available at retail, specialty, and drug chains. The Sensonic® Professional Plus Toothbrush is available through your dental dealer and Waterpik® Water Flossers are available at www.waterpik.com or through your dental dealer.
1. Eke PI, Dyd BA, Wei L, et al. Prevalence of periodontitis in adults in the United States: 2009–2010. J Dent Res 2012;91(10):914-920.
2. Berchier CE, Slot DE, Haps S, Van der Weijden GA. The efficacy of dental floss in addition to a toothbrush on plaque and parameters of gingival inflammation: a systematic review. Int J Dent Hygiene. 2008;6(4):265-279.
3. Goyal CR, Lyle DM, Qaqish JG, Schuller R. The addition of a water flosser to power tooth brushing: effect on bleeding, gingivitis, and plaque. J Clin Dent. 2012;23:57-63.
For more information, contact:
The preceding material was provided by the manufacturer. The statements and opinions contained therein are solely those of the manufacturer and not of the editors, publisher, or the Editorial Board of Inside Dentistry.
WATERPIK® COMPLETE CARE Helping your patients achieve good oral hygiene at home begins by recommending the Complete Care Regimen.